We learned yesterday that Jesus came to reveal to us the glory of God, to reconcile us to God, to provide eternal life and also to establish soul-satisfying joy within the heart. How do all these benefits take place?
- The benefits of this reality, this good news are applied only to those who repent of their idolatrous rebellion and trust Christ to save them. Romans 10:9 says, “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.” When Peter told the people in Acts the same message that I am telling you, the people surrounded him and asked, “Brother, what must we do?” Peter responded, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.”
What Can We Do?
- Turn from false gods and idols. (Repentance)
- Call upon Jesus to save. (Romans 10:9)
- Start banking your hope on all that God is for you through Jesus Christ.
- Start reading the Bible. The Bible is the foundation for your joy in God. God reveals himself to his people in the pages of Scripture and it is there that you will find peace and hope and rest in Jesus as you study.
- Join a Bible believing, Bible-teaching church. It is crucial that you surround yourself with other people who will spur you on to joy in Christ and chide you when you settle for lesser pleasures. The center of these kinds of relationships is within the local church. Find a Scripture saturated, God-glorifying, Christ-exalting church and join. Today.
Buckle up, the application gets personal tomorrow.