But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (James 1:22-27 ESV)
How can Heartland Baptist Church and Christians in general be doers of the word in the care of orphans?
- Pray for those in our church who are adopting: Hasty family.
- Pray for the orphans: There are 143 million orphans in our world. There are over 500,000 children in our foster care system right now. 129,000 of those children are waiting to be adopted from foster care right now. Approximately, 25,000 children age out of the foster care system each year; many with no support system and little to no life skills.
- Get debt free so you can do some crazy stuff with your money. Do whatever you can to pay off that stupid t.v. and the stupid car so you can go do something crazy with your money! What kind of crazy stuff could you do with your money? I have a few ideas!
- Spend your retirement money adopting an orphan instead of a boat. Your friends would think you were nuts! Then you say, “Look, God gave the life of Jesus to call me son. I can give money to call her daughter, to call him son and point them to their greater Father who is God.”
- Fund an adoption for another family who wants to adopt, but has no money.
- Become a foster parent. Say your kids are grown and you have a four bedroom house and you are thinking about down-sizing so you can go on more trips. Hey, maybe you keep that house and become a foster parent and fill your house with love again and care for those who would love to be in a home with two people who love each other, pray for one another and talk about Jesus, and bring them to church. You know who did this? Willis and Carol Lewis. Countless kids came through their home. Many people didn’t know that about them, because when you care for orphans there is little applause, minus the applause of heaven.
- Strategize with your home group or Sunday School class as to how you could sponsor a child from the Hope Harbor Orphanage in Africa. Organize a visit to an orphanage on a mission trip.
Whatever you do, do it with all your might, knowing that your actions are a part of doing with word. Don’t just be hearers who deceive themselves and act like everybody else, just with Christian tee shirts. Be the kind of people who do the word. May we be that kind of people and may God give us grace to honor him and help people.