- Accusation (33a) Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? In the context, this question arises on the heels of another rhetorical question, “If God is for us, who can be against us?” We answered, “No one!” Last week, but this week and we have the same answer this week. “Who can bring a charge against God’s elect?” Answer: NO ONE. Now, there are several things about this you need to understand.
- He doesn’t say, “Will anyone accuse God’s elect?” Because that is guaranteed to happen. Revelation 12:10 says that Satan is the accuser of the brethren. Satan’s job is to use every means within his power to make you fruitless and ineffective in your walk with Christ and that is often accomplished by these kinds of accusations. What kind of accusations are we talking about?
- That you don’t really know Christ because you aren’t as awesome as some other guy.
- That you don’t really know Christ because you sin.
- That God will abandon you because you have been so sinful in your past, why would God save a loser like you…now don’t get me wrong, you and I are both losers, but you and I both know that we aren’t saved because we’re awesome.
- These accusations don’t come from Satan to you directly. Remember: Satan is a created being and he can only be in one place at a time, so if the devil is tempting you personally, you are the most important Christian on the planet.
- These accusations often come from other people, who may be legalistic in their thinking and thus make you think that if you aren’t as Christian bumper sticker as them you might not be saved. Your own mind could accuse you as well.
- Often we set up unbiblical standards in our minds as to whether or not we are in Christ and often it is related to trial, as if going through a hard time means you aren’t saved. The jokers on television would have you believe that, because you might not have faith if you are sick. Accusations have come and will come. He doesn’t say that they will cease to exist.
- He doesn’t say, “Will anyone bring a charge against those who have decided to follow Jesus?” It makes a big difference if the charges leveled against me are fought by God or by myself. The group in question is not those who have chosen God but the ones whom God has chosen. MLJ: If you are one of God’s chosen people, then, because God is God, no one can ever rob you of your position.