- Based on Christ: Read Romans 3:24-25, 5:9.
- Christ obeyed God perfectly and sinlessly.
- Christ was our propitiation, or wrath absorbing substitute.
- Hebrews 10:11-18
- Delight: Sola Fide
- Faith is the instrument, not the cause of justification: Romans 4:1-5
- Faith silences boasting: Eph. 2:8-9
- Because we haven’t done anything to earn our justification.
- Because our repentance isn’t meritorious.
- Keeping our “justified” status is not accomplished through our own efforts. Galatians 3:1ff.
- Faith implies assurance. Faith is only as good as the object in which it is placed, so if our faith and trust are in God to save, and God doesn’t fail, the implication is that he can’t fail in saving his people completely.
Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:19-24