- Christ-likeness is the predetermined goal of our lives.
- Christ-likeness is the present action of God upon our lives.
- If 1&2 are true, then how do I know that I am becoming like Christ? Is there a water walking kit from LifeWay or a lunch multiplication seminar I need to go to? There are several ways you can look to your life and see Christ-likeness being produced. Remember, these areas are clearly within the tension of working out salvation because God is within us working out our salvation.
- Sin Destruction: What you do confirms who you are. If you are being conformed to Christ, your desires are being conformed to his desires. So you hate sin and you want it out of your life.
- 1 John 2:5-6 “By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.”
- 1 John 2:29 “If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.” In other words, the evidence that God is conforming you to Jesus is your happy, wholehearted obedience to him.
- 1 John 3:9 “No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.”
- Fruit Production: We know, because of our extensive look at the fruit of the Spirit this summer that one result of God’s action upon us is fruitfulness in our walk with him. Matthew 12:33 says, “Either make the tree good, and its fruit good; or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit.” As the tree is known by its fruit, so the Christian is known by fruit. I want to focus on just two areas of fruitfulness in particular this morning to help you examine your heart.
- Joy: Remember that joy is happy satisfaction in God. As you grow in your walk with Christ, are you finding more satisfaction in him?
- Love: Two kinds
- Love for God: Romans 8:28; He first loved us, and thus we love him.
- Love for the people of God: “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and loves God.” 1 John 4:7
Are these things true of your life? Look at your life and pray that the Holy Spirit will show you according to all the Scripture you have heard this morning how God is conforming you to Christ.