Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word.
 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
 I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me!
 My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times.
 You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones, who wander from your commandments.
 Take away from me scorn and contempt, for I have kept your testimonies.
 Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.
 Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors.
(Psalm 119:17-24 ESV)
Prayer of Devotion (17)
- Deal bountifully [mercifully, kindly] with your servant, that I may live and keep your word(s).
- God’s mercy is connected to our obedience: Romans 2:4; Titus 2:11-14.
- CHS: “We work for Him because he works in us.”
- We see that as the people of God, we are completely his and since he has bought us with a price and sealed us with his Spirit, we desire to be completely devoted to him.
- We see in the rest of the passage that as people who desire to be devoted to God, but live in a world that is not devoted to God at all, we have to find a way to navigate our surroundings. This is the principle of application: Your time in the word is directly related to the way you spend your time in the world.