How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.
(Psalm 119:9-16 ESV)
David’s Process Continued…
- See Your Joy in the Bible: In the way [road, conduct] of your testimonies I delight [enjoy] as much as in all riches. Matthew 13:44 In his joy, sold all that he has to buy that field! The Scriptures are the field in which we find the pearl of great price, our Lord Christ, in whose presence is fullness of joy!
- Meditate on the Bible: I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes [look upon with respect] on your ways. Psalm 1:1-2. Donald Whitney, in his book Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life gives these methods of meditation and I have found them to be helpful in the process:
- Rewrite it in your own words
- Look for application in the text
- Journal about that passage
- Pray through the passage
- Commit yourself to Bible Study! I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. Notice how David has already said that he delights in the Bible and now he says that he will delight in it and then he says that he will not forget, or abandon the Bible, the prayer that he has already offered to God in verse 10. Hebrews 2:1-4; James 1:22-25.